Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dr. Jerry

You know how you have lots of teachers, and then there are a few you remember? Dr. Jerry was one of mine. He taught me freshman biology, and I was terrified. I was an Arts major, and science was not for me. On the first day, we filed into the huge auditorium, and The Grateful Dead was playing. I couldn't tell you what song it was, but he would change it up a bit. Sometimes a little David Bowie would be playing. There were over 100 students in that class, and I just knew he would never know who I was. By the second week, he knew my name. He also knew I was struggling in the lab that was taught by a TA. How in the hell did he know that ? He cared. I was so terrified that I was going to fail biology. I didn't think I was capable of understanding anything related to science. Dr. Jerry tried his best to change that for me. He would meet with me in his office and go over the lab for that week. I would cry sometimes because I was 18 and didn't want to let everyone down. He would calm me down and start again. I didn't make an A in Dr. Jerry's class, but he didn't care. He was truly more concerned with me enjoying science and knowing that I was capable of understanding it.

Dr. Jerry died recently. He left behind so many loved ones. I never told him how much it meant that he took the time to just know who I was. I never told him that I appreciated the time he invested in me. I haven't thought about Dr. Jerry in awhile, but I cried at this news. His students meant something to him, and I hope he knew that he meant something to us. So, Dr. Jerry, I want you to know that, "When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me." Peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The world really needs more teachers like this. So many of them hate their job or get so sick of it, and then there are people like this who actually give a crap about, not their work, but their pupils, which is so amazing.

just north of Eastwick said...

He is greatly missed on campus....that was a big loss. He was one of the good ones. I never had him for a class, but he was one of those guys that everyone knows. There's a memorial web site that one of his colleagues set up for him--it has more than 4,000 entries from all over the country. He touched a lot of people's lives. And you know what? If he was still alive and you bumped into him today, I bet he'd STILL remember your name.

chocolat lover said...

Perhaps send a note to the School/Uni for them to pass on to his family, they will appreciate this in their time of greif ;o).

He sounded like a really nice teacher, who did it for the love of teaching rather than just for the money. Mind you teachers here are famously underpaid, so perhaps they all do it for the love of teaching! Its just that some forget it.

Anonymous said...

I love great teachers.

I had one who kind of transitioned from middle school to high school at the same time I did, and he is still in my life. Constantly being bothered for letters of recommendation, and flooded with pictures of Myles.

I am sure Dr. Jerry knew how much y'all appreciated him.