Monday, June 1, 2009

Neighbors

I bitch about my neighbors a lot on here. Kelly posted an entry the other day that reminded me of my old stomping grounds. When I entered grad school, I had NO money. My parents were kind enough to help me out with rent, but it wasn't going to be much. I really wanted to live by myself because I knew I would be studying around the clock. Plus, sharing a bathroom with someone you're not sleeping with or related to just sucks. It was the late 90's, and I had $200. Not only did I find a kick ass place to live by myself, I also had money left over. How, you ask? I lived in the ghetto. It was the old people ghetto, and it fucking rocked. The projects were across the street from my place, and it was always hopping. There would be slews of octogenarians around the laundry area and scattered throughout the porches. Some of the people I met through school were scared of my place. There was no reason. I would come home from a long day at work and school, and I would know the color, make, and license tag number of every car that had even thought of slowing down near my place. I couldn't even get out of the car before one of them was shuffling over there to give me the dirt. It was fantastic. It did suck when the grandkids would visit. They would come over and ask if I had cable. I'd just tell them that my mom wouldn't let me have visitors. They went away. I did have a crack whore knock on my door in the middle of the night. She needed a ride to pick her kid up. Being the kind hearted dumb ass that I am, I took her. She was terrified of my sweet doggy, so I insisted that she come too. My dog sat in the front seat and would growl at her every few minutes. Do you know she actually just needed to pick her kid up? I didn't get mugged or beat up. Poor crack whore just needed a ride.

Now, I live in a nice neighborhood, and I can't seem to get the stupid fucking assholes next door to understand that it is unacceptable to sit in your driveway with music blaring at 2:00 in the morning! That's ok, though. I'm sure they didn't like it when I leaned out of the bedroom window at 6:30 in the morning with my megaphone. Rise and shine, motherfuckers! I miss the projects.

3 comments:

Mrs. Flax said...

I really liked that storage shed.

Anonymous said...

Your projects sound vaguely similar to mine. I am located in one of the most wealthy suburbs around...they kindly made room for our little apartment complex in the older part of town, very nice of them.

I don't have to worry about murders or even crack whores, just stoners and out of control kids who leave their razor scooters behind my new car so that I can run them over.

Mowing your lawn at 8 in the morning would also probably be a nice treat for the neighbors ;) (or hiring a neighborhood kid to do it)

chocolat lover said...

Would you use a ride on mower? In King of The Hill they do that at 7am to make some unruly neighbours move, very non aggressive ;o)

Old people projects sounds great, at least you wouldnt get loud music late at night ;o) Although oldies do have their moments.

You probably got glared at a lot too!