Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's a Political Cesspool, but It's Mine!

In the past few weeks, I've felt the pressure and the unfortunate bigotry that all too often gets cloaked by religion here in Eastwick. It's like people think that if they can link some faux religious "rule" to their bigotry, then that makes it ok. Assholes. Sukie and I frequently are harassed by nut jobs in parking lots. They always want to know if we have been saved. I had a different kind of encounter today. I had one ask me if I knew of the terrorist that was running for president. I continued to walk away in silence. He yelled after me again. I stopped. I told him I wasn't aware that any terrorists were running for president. You see where this is going. He went to sputter something about our Lord Jesus Christ, and I just stopped him. I said, "First of all, what in the hell does he have to do with the presidential election? If that is how you want to make decisions for yourself, then fine, but don't drag your religion into my world. Second of all, I happen to think you are full of bullshit. Finally, it's really none of your fucking business who I vote for or why. This is America. I get to vote in private. And, if you really supported our troops, you would understand the significance of that statement. Instead, you probably voted for Dubya...twice...and now he doesn't even want to take care of our men and women when they come back physically and mentally ill-prepared to deal with their lives again. Asshole!" He then looks at me and says, "Then why don't you move if you don't like it here." I whispered back within an inch of his face (because I think people are way scarier when they are whispering and real up close), "First, that makes no fucking sense you dolt. And, this is my home. Yes, I often feel like it is a political cesspool, but it is mine. You better hope that me and mine don't decide to finally be tired of your stupid bullshit and stop supporting your right to free speech because if we do, we will run you out of Eastwick with flames and big words that you can't understand." He walked away! I won! I beat the crazy person! I'm not going to dwell on what this says about me. I won! ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm. A man in the parking lot of Wal Mart asked me to marry him. In Spanish.

Your thing sounds way cooler.