Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Shrub in the South

George W. gave the commencement speech last night at Furman University located in Greenville, S.C. As you can imagine, it was a college divided. It was reported that around 30 faculty members chose to not attend because of W. It was also reported that 14 faculty members that did attend chose to have a silent protest by removing their robes and revealing t-shirts that said, "We object." My question is why would Furman want one of history's most unpopular presidents to speak at graduation? Regardless of your politics, you must admit that he is a horrible public speaker. If I had been a faculty member at Furman, I totally would have gone so I could pass snarky notes to Sukie and snort at my own hilarious self. ;) Some graduates, not sure on the number, chose not to march because he was speaking. BTW, his speech was about personal and fiscal responsibility. Ha! I really thought the media was fucking kidding, but no. I really hate that Eastwick is the cesspool of politics. At least we have great weather and a good farmer's market. :)

No comments: