Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas "Child"

My sister and her husband recently sponsored a "Christmas child" from their church. The church runs some sort of program for adults who are mentally challenged. These adults were able to list three gifts they wanted for Christmas. The gifts were listed on a bag, and the church members could choose a bag. This was very similar to the Angel trees you have seen, where childrens' names are listed on gift tags. So, my brother-in-law was in charge of choosing a bag. Here is who he chose.

Name: Lincoln McMahan
Age: 61
Wishes:
A brown tam
A pair of brown zip ankle boots in a 13 wide
A pair of blue jeans size 60X30

Where in God's name they are going to find these things I will never know. I found it interesting how specific Lincoln was with his requests. I like that. I imagine that I won't be able to miss him if I see him walking down the streets of Eastwick with his tam, ankle boots, and jeans on. I'll see if my sister will take a picture of the "wishes" before she wraps them. This should be interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I want a tam!", pouts mindctrl.

Unknown said...

I was a name on a tree long long ago when I was in the system. I tell anyone who will listen to adopt one of those names, because even though I was lucky enough to have gifts at home, other kids werent, and the things that the social worker gave me were like hair ties and paper folders or a stuffed animal. For a 16 year old it kind of sucks balls.

Last year we saw an old couple buying stuff for a christmas child, they stopped us to put Ty on a bike because they didnt know what size of bike to buy for their child and she was about his age at the time. Their cart was FULL of toys, it made me so happy.

If I had time, I would knit him a tam, if I have the definition of tam correct.

Alexandra Bitchford said...

Sukie and I went in together and chose a 16 year old girl. She wanted Air Force Ones and clothes. We did her right. She got the EXACT Air Force Ones she wanted, plus we put together a nice stocking for her. We also found some cute clothes for her. I hope she likes it all.

Mrs. Flax said...

A lot more people will adopt the really young kids, so this year we also took a 15 year old boy and a 19 year old mentally disabled young woman. He wanted some Michigan Wolverines clothes and music cds, and clothes. I was happiest to find his size in a really cool pair of Nike running shoes at Kohl's for $11. I confirmed their coolness with the 20 year old at work. So that left us more to do other things for him, since shoes can be high dollar. She was actually easier to buy for because she wanted childrens' things, like a Baby Alive and remote control cars. We are trying to teach Mini Flax it ain't all about him, and spread what cheer we can. I'm glad to hear from the horse's mouth that it really counts.