Monday, December 8, 2008

Pay It Forward

Several months ago, I had been bitching about not knowing what to do with my old wedding dress. It was a beautiful dress and had only been worn once. ;) Ha! Anyway, it had been hanging in my dad's closet for years now. I spent way too much money on it, and I had the slip and the veil that matched it. A few weeks ago, my mom called. She said that a woman she worked with wanted to see the dress. The woman is getting married next year, and she needed to find a good deal on a dress. Again, my dress was expensive, so even at half price it was probably too expensive to be called a "deal." I told my mom to do whatever. I loved the dress, but where in the hell was I going to wear it?

My mom called last week and asked me what I was going to do. I said, "Give it to her." My mom took the dress to her, and she cried. She couldn't believe that I was going to give it to her. She said that she took it home for her mother to see, and her mother cried too. The mother couldn't believe that someone just gave her a dress. It felt really good. I don't really feel like I can tell anyone in real life because that would feel like bragging. I can tell the blogsphere because it's like my journal.

The lesson is to pay it forward. I still feel so good about giving her that dress. I loved the dress, but the marriage didn't really work out. I hope she enjoys it and gets the marriage too. She's going to send me a picture after the wedding. It's just a good day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so awesome, it's nice to do things like that for people. I couldnt get a real dress at my wedding and if someone had given me one I'd of shit all over the train thing from excitement.

Alexandra Bitchford said...

Nothin' like a little dookie on your wedding day. ewww.

Lulu said...

That rocks!

My first attempt at marriage failed before I even got to the alter. I bought the bridesmaid dress back from my friends and donated them any my wedding dress to a shop that sells dresses at a huge discount for the less fortunate.

Sure, I could have returned the dresses and got all my money back, but that just didn't feel right.

Hopefully, some gal, somewhere had a nice wedding with pink bridesmaid dresses and the cutest little white wedding dress. ;)

just north of Eastwick said...

That's so nice of you! It was a beautiful dress...that's great that someone else will get to enjoy it.