Thursday, December 4, 2008

Where did my Christmas cheer go?

I haven't been in the Christmas mood this year, and this is unusual for me. I've never had a fake tree. My family always had a real one, and I've just kept the tradition alive...until this year. I didn't have it in me to go buy a real one, drag it into the house, and deal with all of the needles drying up and falling on my floor. I knew I had to get a tree, though, because I'm too young to say that I just can't get up and down in the attic anymore. Damn. So, I went to Big Lots, and I found the perfect tree. It's pink!
I love old Christmas ornaments, especially those from the 1950's. Most of the stuff I have has the "Made in Japan" sticker stamped on it. My love of the 1950's doesn't stop with ornaments, though. I've decorated the whole house with this stuff. It makes me feel like Donna Reed gliding across my hardwood floors. So, here I was feeling like a loser because I didn't have a real tree, and the pink tree was just what I needed. It had put me back in the Christmas spirit. I do miss the smell of a real tree, so I bought a Glade plug-in that smells of pine trees. Mr. Bitchford is always freaked out by my vintage Santa Claus. He's convinced that the stuffed Santa will suddenly come to life while he's sleeping, and then he'll swift across the floors and come to his bed to smother him. Crazy, huh? I like to chase after the dogs with the vintage Santa and yell, "Ho, Ho, Ho." It always gets them riled up. Maybe I should do a video of it. Hmmm. How do the rest of you decorate?

9 comments:

just north of Eastwick said...

I LOVE it! It's the perfect tree for you and your vintage holiday decor.

Mrs. Flax said...

I currently have naught but a naked Christmas bush.

Mrs. Flax said...

Hee, I just read that out loud. That's sure to get your blog a lot of interesting traffic. Sorry.

Unknown said...

vintage santa looks like the Travelocity gnome.

Sukie Bitchmont said...

I have zero Christmas spirit this year. Zero.

Anonymous said...

Love the floor! I'd love to go skating around your house in my socks... and of course run down the hall and sliiiiiiiiiide.

Santa's beard is pimp!

Mrs. Flax said...

My house has huge expanses of wood floors, mind, and when I first moved in, I put on my skates and skated all over the house. After about 30 minutes I looked in horror at the black ribbons everywhere. It took me days to clean it off, but it was totally worth it. Now I only go sock surfing. :)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Sock skating parties at the Bitchford and Flax residences!

I'll bring the alcohol and the floor polish!

Alexandra Bitchford said...

You know...that's an idea for New Year's Eve.