Friday, June 1, 2007

Animals are People

I've been M.I.A. for the past few days. I found out that my beloved, 13 year old doggie has cancer. We've had to make the choice of whether to put her through chemo or not. We've decided not to go that route. It's so hard to make a decision for someone who can't speak to you, but my gut tells me it is what she wants. I've been through so much with this dog. We've gone on week long camping trips in the mountains. We've even rappelled off of a mountain together. She was strapped to me. :) She's gone to the beach and run through the waves. She's never been boarded. We've always taken her with us on any trip, and when we just couldn't take her, she would stay with her grandparents or close friends.

I was really torn up when I found this out. I took a nap with her yesterday, and I fell asleep with my arm around her. Her breathing was so soft, and it put me to sleep. I woke up, and I felt this peace come over me. I can't really explain it any other way. I love her, and I don't want her to die, but she has accepted that it is her time. I owe it to her to accept that, as well. We're going to do whatever it is she wants. So far, she has had a steak for dinner one night, gets to take as many walks as she wants, and gets to sit outside with me in the hammock as long as she wants. She will go visit her grandparents and aunt tomorrow. They have ducks, and she loves to play with them. Her aunt even has a special room that she likes to stay in. She's always been able to do these things, but they just seem so much sweeter now. I can honestly say that I have no regrets, and I hope she doesn't either.

I think she came into my life when I needed the type of friend who would just listen. I've grown up with her, and she knows things about me that no one else ever will. Her time will come soon. They've given her between two to four weeks. I hope it's peaceful. I love her. Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

just north of Eastwick said...

I am sitting here at work crying over this post. I had the pleasure of keeping NJ for you once when you were at a conference. I have a video of her and Piper running around my couch together when Piper was just a puppy. Remember that? She sure knew how to put Piper in her place--even though it was Piper's house!!

Alexandra Bitchford said...

I do remember that, and I'm trying to keep memories like that in my mind. She's had such a full life with many, many friends. Thanks for thinking of her:)

Unknown said...

Its so hard to lose a friend this way but I think youre making the right decision.

Lulu said...

I'm proud of you for not being selfish with your sweet puppy.

I guarantee she loves you more for how you are handling this.