Tuesday, June 12, 2007

To Climb or Not to Climb...

That is the question. It seems like everyone at our company has been scheming and trying to climb the corporate ladder. It's the time of year when the new budgets come out, the evaluations come out, and the claws come out! Sukie and I try to work on projects together because we compliment each other. I wear push-up bras to our presentations, and she's the brains behind the whole operation. Just kidding! :) We think about things in very different ways. If you put us together, we rock. I had someone try and talk me into ditching Sukie on the latest project we are working on. I know there are people like this out there, but it really just made me terribly disappointed. In some ways, I was insulted that this person would even think I could be so low. My code of ethics in business is pretty basic. I treat others the way I want to be treated. I'll never be rich, but I'll never go home feeling like a dick either. Money just doesn't do much for me besides pay my bills. I didn't really know what to say to this person. I sort of brushed it off, but I was still upset an hour later. I called Sukie and told her what happened. She wasn't surprised. I just wanted to be up front with her because you know how shit gets all twisted up once people start talking. While I want to do great things at my job, fucking people over just isn't one of them. I very well may stay at the bottom of my corporate ladder, but I'm coming to terms with that. I loathe the people that are climbing it or have climbed it before me. I really don't respect any of them. I respected one, but after today I don't. Does anyone think these people are really happy?

8 comments:

Mrs. Flax said...

The point is, THEY think they are happy. YOU know better. It's just a matter of priority, but it's still a hard pill to swallow, and it's tempting to join the race. Long ago I realized that, while I could try to climb and certainly would be higher than I am now had I done so, it would be doubly hard for me as a woman. And it wasn't worth it, mentally or otherwise. The whole process disgusted me. So, I gave up on six figures and took back my time. My sweet sweet time. That has made all the difference in my life, and I'm thankful every day for doing it.

Lulu said...

Being a corproate girl...I can tell you that 'these people' are NOT happy. They are misserable in their work lives and many times in their professional lives as well.

My goal? To get my personal life to where I want it to be, and quite this corporate bullshit. It drags me down, and life is too short to deal with that kind of crap!

Lulu said...

Damn! Professional lives should have read PERSONAL lives.... Ugh!

Cricky said...

I'm on that ladder....but I keep finding myself on the same rung year after year. Why? Because I don't buy into the ass kissing,reputation ruining, and politics. I want to be the best at my career, but I refuse to lose my morals over it. If it means I stick around the same rung for a while so be it...eventually all those leeches will fall off and clear the way for me.

Head Bitch in Charge said...

The ass kissers eventually bite the big one. It is just a matter of time. Sometimes a long time.

Barb Smith said...

Ya know, this kind of shit is exactly why I became so massively discontent at my "corporate" job and have said ta hell wit it! (I don't recommend unemployment for everyone..cause it ain't working to swell with me right now, but oh well.)

I just don't do well with backstabbers, ladder-climbers (who do so at the other expense), and the whole "working for the man" mentality. The only one's who seem happy to me are those at the top as they look down on the peons from their perches on high (or from behind the wheels of their Mercedes, as the case may be.)

Eh, fuck that. I'm just not cut out for it. It's the liberal in my heart, I suppose...I find I'm too worried about the little guys in the world to give a shit about the big guys (who are also only worried about the big guys, too.)

*Diatribe over* lol

Queen Bee said...

What goes around, comes around is the motto I live by. So the backstabbing asskissers will get their asses kissed and then get stabbed in the back! WOOHOO!

Sukie Bitchmont said...

They are sad, sad, miserable people. I have to believe that.