Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm Sending Out an S.O.S.

I need help! A part-time employee of mine let me know that he would be leaving August 1st. This wasn't a huge shock because I knew he really needed full-time work and benefits. We've had an ok working relationship. If I had to sum up his work in one word, it would be mediocre. Sukie thinks he just sucks ass, but that's another story. I got an email from him this afternoon. It had a job description and his resume attached. He wants me to write a letter of recommendation for him. I looked over the job description, and he isn't qualified. Also, he says he has to have the letter by tomorrow morning. WTF, dude? Nice notice. I opened his resume and stopped breathing for a minute. He lied. There were job duties listed for his current job that are not his. They are mine! He didn't actually list a project or anything, but parts of my job description are in his fucking resume. I'm not really sure how to handle this. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Sukie Bitchmont said...

A) you tell him you are NOT writing the rec., and
B) tell him he shouldn't list you as a reference, and
C) tell him you're a little surprised that he so "overexaggerated" his current position.

Unknown said...

What she said + tell him to fuck off.

Anonymous said...

I suggest this.... not telling him B or C, and instead that you:

1. Don't have time to write a letter; and
2. he can list you as a reference if he so wishes.

Then when they call you can be honest with them and even offer up his list of duties and that you were satisfied with his work, but felt he left a lot of room for improvement...bla bla.

If you tell him the other things, then he gets the chance to tell his new potential employer that his last boss was a "bitch" and nothing he did was good enough. Which sadly means you don't get to fuck him in the ass for being a lying scumbucket.

:)

Tamzin (lurking BoEw reader)