Thursday, November 6, 2008

Friendships and Politics

This has been on my mind lately for several reasons. One, Jessie at David's Doll mentioned it yesterday. Two, when you live in Eastwick, there are a limited number of people who are left-thinking. I'm friends with a lot of people who more than likely voted for McCain or would have voted for any candidate over Obama. I do think that a person can be a fiscal conservative and not look at the social issues. I do have friends like that. On the other hand, most of the "Republicans" in Eastwick just spew hate...at least the ones I have had contact with.

I have one friend who I do struggle with. I really like her because she's a lot of fun. Our friendship isn't shallow, though. She happened to be my friend when I really needed someone like her in my life. We're just very different. She attends the local mega church, and she is always inviting me. It makes me want to keep my distance. She came to visit me the other day and started talking about that "black man" that wanted to be president. This made me cringe too. I had to put up my hand and say stop. I explained that we couldn't talk about those things and remain friends. It was her choice. She chose to change the subject, thank goodness.

I guess what I'm pondering is how much is too much? Can you be friends with someone who may hold beliefs that you find downright offensive? Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I tend to enjoy heated debates more than most people, but then again it's more of a question of "Is it morally right to be this person's friend?"

But then I think back on all those people in high school who excluded me because I wasnt Christian like them. I mean, they think they're right, and that I'm wrong, and therefore I should be excluded.

My neighbor is a racist, a proud one, but we dont base our friendship around it. I avoided her house on election night because I didnt want to hear her complain every five minutes about the nigger on TV (her words, of course.) She's also deeply religious.

Can she tolerate that I am not religious, and can I tolerate that she's racist?

I dont know. I've never told her I'm not religious.

I just take it one day at a time, and I dont let her speak that way in front of my kids or in my home. She can say whatever she wants in her home, but not mine.