Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Religion and Such

I actually heard someone say that if you voted for Obama, then you were going to hell. I found this logic odd, and a small part of me wished that I could just believe that. I don't know if this is true or not, but it appears that life is just simple for people who believe things like this. They have their beliefs and that's that. Since I was a child, I've always needed a good, solid answer. I've always wanted to think about things and analyze them...to death sometimes. I always found myself weighing all of the options. I'm not afraid to make a pros and cons list either. I don't really know how to respond to people who say things like this. I've decided that maybe I should respond to situations like this with song. I've copied the lyrics of my all-time favorite gospel song below. The next time I'm confronted by someone who I feel is using his/her religion as a weapon, then I'm gonna whip this out on 'em. What do you think? I mean, really, who doesn't love a gospel song with the word "whore" in it? Oh, and as a side note, I especially love the Wall Street reference. Carry on, now.



If they saw Him riding in,
long hair flying in the wind,
Would they love Him down in Shreveport today?

If they heard He was a Jew
and a Palestinian too,
Would they love Him down in Nashville today?

If they saw Him talk with ease
to the junkies, whores, and thieves,
Would they love Him out in Wichita today?

Would the rich men think it funny
if He said give up your money?
Would they love Him up on Wall Street today?

If He made the wine from water,
gave it to their sons and daughters,
What would the folks in Salt Lake City say?

If He talked of brotherhood
as he walked their neighborhoods,
Would they love Him up in Boston today?

If He said love those who use you,
and forgive those who abuse you,
If He turned the other cheek,
what would you say?

Would you laugh and call Him crazy,
and just send Him on his way,
If Jesus came to your town today?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, if Jesus came to my town today I'd be all like "What up bro?" then probably buy him something at McDonnalds and take him shopping at Walgreens because they have nice Christmas stuff there on sale. I figure Jesus would be all about Christmas stuff since he's pagan and all.
What if Jesus gave you money for your recycled goods so you can go buy more booze and sit at the park and stare at little children?

Jesus is a pretty cool guy. Eh loves the little children and doesnt afraid of anything.

Anonymous said...

Those who say that unwittingly ignore the fallacy of their proclamations and the similarities of their chosen candidate.

Kudos to those who seek good, solid answers. It's a rare trait these days, it seems. "Question everything" is a good motto by which to live.

Great lyrics. Never heard the song. No doubt written by someone who likes to observe society, a favorite pastime of mine.

Make 'em think. Whip it out!