Thursday, March 5, 2009

Don't Let Your Champagne Taste Ruin Your Beer Budget

Ok—has anyone else seen the story about the bus driver who is on the verge of losing the $800,000 house she and her husband bought? Now, look, some of the foreclosures happening in America today are unfair. The lending industry did take advantage of a lot of people with their crooked mortgages and lending practices. HOWEVER, this is not really one of those cases. (Well, it is a little bit) Yes, the lender here is at partial fault because really? What lender would look at these people and think “Yes, these people will probably be able to pay off this house. This probably won’t end in foreclosure.” (I am assuming, of course, that banks prefer that people pay their mortgages rather than foreclosing on them, but I don’t really know that) And the fact that they allowed these MORONS to believe that they could afford an $800 K house is both ridiculous and wrong. HOWEVER (again), the bus driver and her husband are equally at fault because how ducking stupid do you have to be to think you can afford that house???

According to this salary wizard that I found online, the median salary for a bus driver in the US is $18,446. Now, I haven’t been able to figure out what her husband does for a living, but let’s just suppose he makes $30,000 (I’m willing to bet, however, he doesn’t make that much). That would give them a little over $48,000/year. According to this simple loan calculator that I found via Google, a 30-year loan for an $800,000 house at a low interest rate of 5.75% would end up costing these people $4668.58 per month. So…some more basic math: $48,000/12 = 4000. Now, that’s how much a month these people would have without giving up any of it to taxes or anything. And that? Isn’t even enough to cover the mortgage payment, much less electricity, gas, telephone, groceries. Now, your mortgage payment is not supposed to be more than 20% of your monthly income. I am really bad at math, but here’s what I figured: 20% of 23,342 is 4,668.40, so they would need a monthly income of over $23,000. Thus, they would need (not accounting for taxes again…) a yearly salary of $280,104. Pretty sure that has a snowball’s chance in Hell of happening. So I ask you: What lender would approve such a mortgage? And what idiot potential homebuyer wouldn’t look at that mortgage payment, and think, “How will I pay this?”

Note: I did not take into account any down payment because I figure any down payment they could have made: 10%, 20% wouldn't have made much of a difference in this case...but because several people on my other blog are optimists and suggested that maybe they put down a hefty down payment or "came into some money," I did a few more calculations. Not accounting for what comes out for taxes, IF they make a combined income of $48,000, they'd be bringing in $4000 each month. 20% of that is $800. Even if they came into some money from somewhere...to get the payment down to something they could afford ($800), they'd have had to put down $650,000 (and the payment would be around $875). Now, what are the odds these people inherited $650,000 from someone to put down on this $800 K house? My guess is the odds aren't too good. Simply put, the lenders in this case allowed these people to believe they could afford a house way outside their means, and the homeowners themselves were stupid...yeah, just stupid.

This example is also a sad commentary on our current American society. We are a nation of people seeking instant gratification and a nation of people who feel entitled. We are greedy. We have to start learning to live smaller, to live with less. We need to learn that we are not entitled to the best of the best. Are we all entitled to the American Dream? Sure. But we need to redefine the American Dream of the new millennium. In the 50s it was a lot simpler. I know because I am living in someone’s 1950s-era American Dream House. And it cost less than $100,000. And I can afford it because I make more than $18,446. Would I not love to also live in the lap of luxury with an $800,000 house, and a couple new sports cars, and ducking cabana boy by my custom pool? Sure. But I’m not willing to let any taste for champagne spoil my beer budget. And that’s what we need to come back to in this country. Unfortunately, it’s probably going to be a hard and long lesson for us to learn because we’ve been spoiled too much too long.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Which is why when David actually gets a job, we're going to rent for as long as possible and build up a savings so we know we have the money to pay for the house.

And that Mazda we drive will probably stay with us for 10 years.

And we'll probably buy a second Mazda.

Alexandra Bitchford said...

People have actually snickered at my car, which is a basic Ford model, but I own it. It gets me where I need to go, and it's mine. Paid for! I also live in someone's 1950's era dream home. It was custom built, and it's very cool. Did you know that the doors aren't as wide in older homes because people weren't as big? Interesting little fact.

I love clothes and shoes. When someone asks me where I got something, I'm likely to say at the Goodwill or an estate sale. I like vintage clothes and jewelry. Some people actually turn their noses up, but whatever.

I often wonder if I don't play the lottery because I secretly don't want to win. Ok. I'm weird.

Mrs. Flax said...

Alex, you aren't that crazy. I just said to Mother Flax the other day that I thought winning the lottery would probably ruin my life. I also live in a 50s dream house. I love it. I have a nice Honda that always cranks. Our other car is nearly 10 years old and we will drive it till it drops. I have warm clothes, good food, and a happy child. People spend so much time trying to "arrive" that they don't realize they are there already. It's sad. I refuse to be shamed or challenged by the folks with the 6,000 square foot Mchomes and late model Beamers. They can keep 'em.

Anonymous said...

The idea of the "American dream", where one "pursues" happiness - which implies it comes from the outside - is based on excess and greed. We're browbeat with this idea of happiness through every form of media available. I suppose that's just a reflection of our culture. We need to get back to basics. But hey, that's not good for the economy. So we keep on perpetuating it, fearful that this abstract human creation we call "economy" will collapse.

We've built a culture of dependence. When we depend on someone, anyone, to provide ourselves with our basic necessities of life, no matter how indirect that dependence is (job, grocery store, etc), we are not free by its very definition.

For more than a decade I've looked around at my friends and neighbors and wondered how they could afford the houses, new cars, the motorcycles, the swimming pools, etc. Knowing many of these people fairly well, I came to realize they're almost all swimming in debt up to their eyeballs. That's a scary way to live and it creates a lot of stress. That in turn creates the need for stress relievers of all sorts - pharmaceuticals, alcohol, punching bags, whatever. :D

I observe the animals in the wild and feel like they have it better than we do. Sure, we may live longer. But at what expense? The birds do what they want all day every day. That's freedom.

just north of Eastwick said...

Well said, Sukie.

I live in a 70s dream house and drive an 02 Impala and a 93 Buick. And that is just fine by me.