Saturday, March 21, 2009

Snobs

I'm addicted to GoodReads. This is a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because I love to read, and I have stumbled across so many books that I wouldn't have discovered on my own. This is a bad thing because sometimes I just like to read trash. I can enjoy just about any kind of book. I do tend to stay away from sci-fi or fantasy, but I will try and read just about anything. I've found myself not wanting to list everything I read. Some stuff is just silly. I really like chick lit because it helps with my stress level. I don't really have to concentrate, and I know the ending will be happy. One thing I have noticed is that some reviewers are complete and total book snobs. I'm not down with this. Why be so serious? If something sucks, then I do appreciate someone telling me why he/she thought it sucked; however, don't be a snob! Here's an example. I read some of the reviews for a book called A Piece of Cake. I really liked this book, and I thought the author had an important story to tell. Other reviewers slammed her for her "bad grammar" and writing style. I didn't really see this. So, Sukie borrowed the book from me, and I was interested to see what her review would be. She liked it, and she called those other reviewers out. There wasn't any bad grammar. It was a rough story to get through, but it was real.

So, I only have a handful of friends on GoodReads, but I'm ok with that. I like chick lit and silly plot lines sometimes, and I'm ok with that. What do you expect from someone who finds shit like this just fucking hilarious?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I admit that when a book is like FULL of typos and bad grammar like they didnt even bother to proof read it I will complain because it's distracting! But there are times when it gets used! I use bad grammar in dialogs only, kind of how on my blog Mustang Sally uses bad english but the rest of it pretty much makes sense (though my blog is not sparkly clean, I just dont give that much of a shit.)

And if a book fucking sucks I'll finish it and then berate it. I'm sure you've seen my one star reviews. BTW i'm reading the Jenna Jameson book you sent and I am LOVING it! I am going to read all of her books now. Makes me proud of Bombshell because I was so right on with it.

T said...

What is your name on there? I joined and was going to add you as a friend. I am also trying to get the wife to join...