Sunday, February 3, 2008

Celebrating Choices

I used to be a huge fan of Sex and the City when it was on the air. Carrie Bradshaw would talk about attending friends' engagement parties, bridal showers, and baby showers. She would bitch about how if you were single with no children, then no one was interested in celebrating your choices. She had a point. No one makes a "Congratulations! You didn't saddle yourself with a loser" card. No one makes a "Congrats! You know how to use birth control, so you don't have any unwanted children" card. Now, I do like celebrating my friends' choices, but that is only if the person is my friend. I get so many invitations at work from people that I barely know. No! I don't want to give $50 towards the gift card for Susie. This her third child, and she should have gotten enough presents from her first two showers. Plus, she's a hateful bitch. If you don't give, though, then you are seen as mean. No one has bothered to give me a "Congratulations! You haven't bent to the pressure to marry your long-time boyfriend, even though everyone in this office is trying to figure out what the fuck is wrong with you" party. No one has bothered to give Sukie a "Congratulations! You didn't have a baby that you didn't want just to follow society's rules" party. My only conclusion from all of this is that I so need to start a card company because there have to be more women like me out there.

3 comments:

Barb Smith said...

I think you're on to something here. You've got my wheels spinning like crazy...there's so much that isn't represented by Hallmark, yanno?

What about the "Congratulations on your Parole" cards...or how about "Hope your D&C goes well"..."Heard about your Mother-in-Law's death..Congratulations!"...you get the idea, right? LMAO

Unknown said...

You need someecards.com

Lulu said...

There are many, many, many of us out here. We just never get any credit.

I totally quit buying people shower gifts and wedding gifts. I figure, if I don't ask for anything from them...we're even.