Friday, February 29, 2008

After the Storm Settles

It's no big secret that I've been married before, and it didn't work out. I've been divorced for awhile now, and my mom has started bugging me to get my wedding dress out of her house. I have no clue what to do with it. First of all, it's a beautiful dress. I wish I could dye it black (my favorite color) and wear it out on the town. The other problem is that it is tiny. Yes, I was a tiny bride, but I was also sustaining myself on vodka martinis and cigarettes because I was so depressed. Lovely, huh? The dress doesn't make me cry, and it doesn't really hold any memories for me. I've thought of having a giveaway on the blog for kicks. Sukie thinks I should sell it. My other problem is my wedding ring. It has a beautiful diamond, but again, I just don't know what to do with it. Mr. Bitchford thinks I should just make another piece of jewelry out of it, but it just sits in my dresser drawer. I went to sell it once, but it was so pretty that I didn't want to part with it. My final post divorce problem is the pictures. This is kind of funny because my wedding album is still on our bookshelf. :) I love that Mr. Bitchford could give two shits that it is still around. Honestly, most of the photos are of me and my friends and family. We had a good time that day! I don't really feel right throwing them away. Suggestions?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, Dress...get rid of it. It doesnt fit, and you no longer have an emotional attachment to it. I looked very hard to find a dress on the cheap and I couldnt, maybe you could make someone's day by offering up the dress in a local thrift store. Seriously, someone will love it like you once did.

Ring, sell it. It's pretty, yes, but honestly if you arent wearing it, then why are you keeping it? The idea to make it into something else would be neat, but that would only work if you forget that there was once a marriage attached to it. No use in letting a shiny thing keep a hold over you.

Wedding album, keep it. It's part of your history, and unless you were annulled, you WERE married, just like you also went to such and such high school and whoeverthefuck was your best friend. If you feel weird about it being on the shelf, then dont keep it there. But for historical purpose, do not get rid of it.

Anonymous said...

Sell the dress on Ebay or a consignment shop. Keep the ring...hey it's a diamond- your best friend : ) If you want to reset it, then do, if it's pretty as it is, just keep it. Bling is bling, it's just a ring now. As for the photos, I would keep them also, especially if you like the photos of YOU. I'm rather bitchy and petty myself and would blackout the ex's face or burn it out, or paste a male model's face on top of his, but that's me. OK, that's my ideas : )

just north of Eastwick said...

Sell or donate the dress....keep the photos. You were so beautiful that day.....and there are so many photos of your family and friends in there. And like Jessie said, it's part of your history.

As for the ring.....I'll take it off your hands if you really want to get rid of it. ;)

Connie T. said...

Try scanning some of the photos and use photo shop and make the x dissappear out of the photo. Then store the original but you have the photos of the relatives with the x in them. I don't have any pictures of my x husbands. They are burned in my brain, I didn't keep any pictures of them.