Saturday, February 9, 2008

The White Devil

I went to a co-worker's father's funeral today. My co-worker is black, and I didn't really think much about that until I got to the funeral. I went with two other co-workers who are also black. I got there, and I was the only white person there. There were a TON of people! One of my co-workers asked me if I had ever been to a black funeral, and I told her no. She told me that they were very spiritual and not to worry about being the only white person because they would welcome me. We got in line to get into the church. Ushers kept pulling people from behind us and taking them to their seats. We were finally the only ones left outside. An usher told us that we would have to go to the overflow room. This was in the basement. We got there, and it was cold. The heat was not on down there. They had three fold-out chairs and a speaker down there. He told us we could listen to the sermon from there. My co-workers looked at each other kind of funny, and I realized what was happening. The white girl and her friends were not going to get upstairs. There were three people that spoke about the man who had died. One talked about the time they were kids and three white kids stole their candy. Oh boy. The preacher came on and started talking about people going to hell and burning. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Then he started talking about the upcoming election and how the white man wouldn't win. Whoa! Then he started screaming that people needed to be saved. Apparently he saved nine people in the dead man's name. I wouldn't really know because I was in the basement. We finally went to leave. My co-workers were mortified. One kept apologizing. It wasn't her fault. A deacon pulled me aside and apologized to me. I told him I came for my co-worker and no one else. I thanked him. I felt like the white devil.

1 comment:

Sukie Bitchmont said...

You ARE the white devil--embrace your devilishness.