Sunday, May 11, 2008

Do We All Turn Into Our Mothers?

It's Mother's Day, and I'm not a mother. Instead of bitching about a holiday that I can't take part in, I decided to reflect on a few things. Have I turned into my mother? My dad has always told me that I remind him of her. When my mom was angry at us as kids, her left eye would twitch. We knew that meant that we had really pissed her off and/or hurt her feelings. I was NOT a good kid, so I got the eye twitching a lot. She was also the mom who would make scenes in the grocery store if she felt that the cashier had charged her incorrectly. On top of that, she was the slowest check writer I know...still is. You know what, though? She is a financial wizard. I look back on my childhood, and I have no idea how she managed my family's modest, blue collar budget. I never remember wanting for anything. I was never hungry. I always had nice, up-to-date clothes. I went on any school and/or church trip that I wanted to go on. I now know this is the reason that she watched that cashier so closely. And, she was the slowest check writer of all time. It would embarrass me because people would clearly be annoyed; however, she has the most beautiful handwriting that I've seen. It's large, loopy, and very lady-like. I wish I could write like that. Recently, when Sukie bought a new home, my mother wanted to do something nice for. She bought her some beautiful, local made knives. She also gave her what she calls "a piece of money." She had met Sukie once. If you cross my mother or worse, hurt her feelings, you will get the eye twitch. But, there is so much more to her than that. So, have I turned into my mother? I hope so.

No comments: