Tuesday, January 20, 2009

America the Beautiful

Happy Inauguration Day! Sukie and I were able to slip away from work for a few hours and attend a party. There were a lot of people, especially for it to be Eastwick. Everyone was in good spirits, and it was just an all around good day. I feel hopeful today. Mr. Bitchford and I had to run by the local Publix on our way home, and we ran into (literally) and old woman. She had her cart all wedged up in the soup aisle, and of course all I needed was one can of tomato. Anyway, we waited for her to spot us, but she didn't. Mr. Bitchford asked her if he could just slip in behind her buggy for a minute to grab a can of soup. She looked at him and said, "Sure. Isn't this just the best day ever?" We both smiled really big and responded, "Yes, it is." Did anyone out there get to attend the inauguration live?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like your town isnt full of devils afterall.

I cant tell you how many Palin stickers are still driving around here.

My county voted for McCain, it turns out.

Mrs. Flax said...

Perhaps it had nothing to do with the inauguration. Perhaps it made the elderly woman's day when Mr. Bitchford asked, and I quote, "if he could just slip in behind her buggy for a minute to grab a can of soup." Uh huh, oh yeah . . .

Debi said...

My kid had to watch it twice at school. 1st time was live (9AM-ish here in Cali) during her Science class, and then she had to watch it again in Social Studies class but one of her friends brought popcorn so it was cool.

just north of Eastwick said...

I had a friend who went. She emailed me from the metro on the way back to her hotel around 3 p.m. The email said, "I went out around 6:45 this morning and am just now returning to the hotel. And I haven't been able to pee all day!"

While I think it would have been cool to witness in person, I would not have been happy standing in the crowd of 8 billion people in 20 degree weather without being able to pee all day.

Anonymous said...

They recently disclosed that Seattle voted 92% Obama. Have you ever considered living here? You'd love the rain!

Liz in Seattle

Alexandra Bitchford said...

We talk about it all of the time, Liz. I've visited a few times, and I complained that everyone was too happy. Now I realize that they were actually that happy! I was just bitter and from the south. ;) Also, it was easier for me to breath out there.

Anonymous said...

You should totally do it. We could get together and read Jessie's blog together.

Liz in Seattle