Monday, January 19, 2009

Ode to the Possum

David's Doll was blogging about the weirdest pet you've ever owned, and it reminded me of my pet possum. When I was a kid, we had indoor/outdoor cats. They pretty much did their own thing. We would feed them wet food outside, and one evening there was a long, skinny, pink tail that did not belong with the rest. It was a possum. She was pregnant and hungry, and she loved the wet cat food. My mom didn't think much of it. Eventually, we realized that the possum wasn't going to leave, so my mom started treating it like our pet. She fed her, and we would all go outside and talk to her. You couldn't touch her or anything, but she would sit and watch you. When my mom would sweep the back porch, the possum would get on the broom and ride along. It was very funny. One day, my mom found the possum at the back door. She had been hit by a car, and she was bloody. My mother was mortified because the possum had already had her babies. The babies were in the road where the mother had been hit. My mom tried to get the possum to the vet, but it was too late. This was the day that I realized what an animal lover my mother was. Who takes a possum hit by a car to the vet? My mother.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad actually raised them. I remember little babies in the cage, I was really little, but we raised opossums.

Anonymous said...

I had a paper route and one day I saw a mom possum that had been hit by a car and its little babies were crawling out of the pouch and trying to figure out what to do. We ended up taking them to an emergency after-hours vet. They weren't able to save any of them. We had another baby one later (older, had a better chance of living) that my mom used to feed with an eye dropper. We kept her until she started to hiss at us and sleep all day, then we let her go.

Liz in Seattle

Mrs. Flax said...

She must have been a teenage possum, Liz. :)

Anonymous said...

Who? Your mother and my mother, too. She currently feeds a couple of raccoons, along with her outdoor cats. One is named, appropriately (not creatively), 'Coony'.