Saturday, January 17, 2009

Giving

I usually reserve this space to bitch about shit, hence the name of the blog. I thought I would share something nice for a change. I've been mentoring an 18-year old girl for over a year now. She's a high school dropout, and she's a sexual abuse survivor. She's currently going back to school and able to earn both high school and college credit at the same time. She did really well her first few semesters, but then she decided she wanted to move out of her guardian's house. I knew this wasn't a good idea, but I also knew she had to figure it out for herself. Long story short, she didn't do very well in school, and she's having to reevaluate her situation. I met her for lunch last week, and I was prepared to do anything to get her to move back in with her guardian. I started to say something, and she just blurted out, "I'm moving back home." I was so relieved. We went on to talk for about 2 hours, and she has a good plan for this semester. We're going to meet 2 days a week at the local library and study together. I'm taking graduate classes, so I'll just study at the library instead of at home. She really seemed to have it together. She told me that she was glad I was there for her and that she wished she could do something for me. I told her she could. She can graduate, and she can go on to mentor someone else who really needs it. I know she's going to make it, but send good vibes her way anyway. It couldn't hurt.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great because I was in the system and there is so little support. Kids like her really thrive when someone gives a shit about them like you do.

And we have to get over this thing about being 18 making you an adult. IT DOESNT.

Anonymous said...

Sending good vibes her way, and yours. What a great thing to do for someone!

just north of Eastwick said...

Good job. You are an awesome mentor, and you are probably more important to her than you will ever realize. The world needs more people like you to help kids like this.