Friday, February 20, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes



This was the headline that caught my eye today. The peppermint patties will no longer be made in the U.S. Production will now be in Monterey, Mexico. The news report stated that around 300 U.S. jobs will be lost. When I first heard the news, my instinct was to not buy this product anymore. If everyone has the same reaction, then the peppermint patty will cease to exist. Is this right or wrong? I guess it's just me exercising my right as a consumer, but it seemed sad. I've heard the news, like everyone else, about losing American jobs, but for some reason the Hershey giant having to give up and move production of one of its popular candies made me really sad. Will you guys continue to buy products that are made in other countries? I try to buy local, but it can be expensive and hard to find certain products. Any tips out there?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fuck York, I'm a Jr Mints fan.

Anonymous said...

My mom refuses to by things made in China due to the whole led thing (and the poison in toothpaste/petfood).

I am not as picky...but, I am still young and naive.

If you like the patties, why abandon them? I mean...I get the whole principle thing, but still. Is it worth a favorite treat?

Anonymous said...

The ones flying the biggest American flags over their buildings, and using American nostalgia to appeal to folks, are the very ones shipping their jobs overseas to make a few extra bucks. It's the American way. It's an unsustainable model and it's going to be interesting as time goes on.

I try to support local businesses whenever possible, and when doing so, I try to stick with locally made products. Sometimes it's not possible, and if I can do without it, I do. I've been buying locally made soap for a while and buying local foods when possible.

I think it would be useful to have a web site that links to local owned businesses, local products, etc. where anyone could submit information for inclusion in the directory. Hmmmmm