Sunday, February 1, 2009

Friends and Babies

My oldest friend from my hometown is having a little girl, and I'm surprisingly excited. We've been friends since we were 7 years old, and we've managed to maintain a close friendship all these years. I've always enjoyed doing nice things for my friends, but I've noticed that I'm enjoying buying for this baby more than I have others. For example, I commissioned Jessie at David's Doll to make a baby blanket. It's very pretty, and it features my friends really loud color choices. Then, I got a phone call from my sister yesterday. She was traveling for work, and she had stopped in a store that carried baby Uggs. Now, I know these shoes are hideous, but they are very warm and comfy. My friend loves Uggs, and I knew she must have a pair for the new baby. Are they not the cutest things you've ever seen?
I love putting presents together, and I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing. So, for you moms out there, what else should I include in the present?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would try to find some outrageous sheet set for the crib or something like that....something that will last forever (well, almost).

Maybe a really cute piece of art for the baby's room? I like Masha D'yans..... @ masha.com I think she also sells at urbanoutfitters.com, too.

just north of Eastwick said...

Include a little something for the mom, too. For my baby shower, one of my coworkers gave me a gift certificate to get my hair done. I thought it was the most thoughtful present--I got more than enough stuff for the baby, so it was nice to get something just for me. New moms need something that will remind them to take care of themselves, too. It's easy to forget to do that when you have a new baby.

Alexandra Bitchford said...

I'm loving all of these ideas. I could get her a manicure gift certificate. I'm going to check out the art, Kelly.

Unknown said...

include chocolate. goddamn chocolate.

Mrs. Flax said...

And a valium prescription. I am not even cracking a smile. Please do that for me if I am ever a new mom again.

Mrs. Flax said...

As far as something you can buy, I saw the most precious piggy banks today at Target. Every new baby needs a piggy bank. You know how much I love the one Mini Flax got. These are very cool, they are like flat pigs, and you could paint her name on the flat part. I'll try to find a pic, because that really makes no sense.