Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hotter than two squirrels screwing in a wool sock behind a dryer

That's Eastwickean for really, really, really HOT! Seriously: Could it be any hotter? I mean, it is torture to go outside--over 100 degrees. After yesterday I went around and tacked blankets and such over all my windows. With the exception of the two sliding glass doors and those two windows behind the couch, they all have cheap, ineffective at battling the heat mini-blinds, which were no competition for the sun glaring down on my house. The thermostat was set, but even with the air running full force, the poor system couldn't get the house temp up to meet the desired temp set on the thermostat--ridiculous. And considering I spent most of yesterday in bed after contracting a very painful 24-hour bug that cleansed my entire system (if you know what I mean), it was really hot. I wasn't even engaged in physical activity, and it was HOT. I just laid around sweating and alternately standing over air vents or in front of the oscillating fan I dragged into my bedroom to compliment the ceiling fan, also running on high. I'm sure being under-the-weather didn't help my sweating, but I'm placing most of the blame on the stupid hot, humid air outside. But today, I am ready (hopefully) to beat the sun with my white-trash window dressings. Bring it on, sun!

6 comments:

Mrs. Flax said...

Try to "get wet in the shower then splay yourself naked in front of the fan" treatment. Works quite well for my husband. Things get only occasionally dicey when an unsuspecting family member, like, say, a sister-in-law, walks in on an unexpected crotch shot.

Head Bitch in Charge said...

I totally understand. 10 minutes after I get to work I can feel the sweat rolling from my back down to the crack of my ass.

Barb Smith said...

I'm with ya...what the hell is up with this friggin' heat?!?! I hate this crap. 101 here yesterday with a heat index at 112! No. Me no likey.

I think I shall copy your white trash window coverings and see if it helps. *chuckle*

Feel better!

Cricky said...

It's caucasion trash to you ma'am.

Master Bedroom - Vinyl "room darkening" shades closest to the outside window, black fabric in the middle, and red and black curtains to hide the black from the inside. (Window unit AC blowing on max cool 24 hours a day)

Kitchen - Vinyl "room darkening" shades closest to the outside window, regular mini blinds and dark curtains.

Living room - Vinyl "room darkening" shades closest to the outside window, heavy drapes.

Kids room - Vinyl "room darkening" shades closest to the outside window, the darkest & thickest drapes I could find over the bay window.

Marci's room - Mini blind and a valance.

Rest of the house has a central ac unit that seems to never shut off.

It's supposed ot be 98 degrees today with a heat index of 112 degrees. It rained first thing this morning which will make it 100 times worse once the sun comes out.

Mrs. Flax said...

It was 107 degrees on my car thermometer at 11:00. Ack.

Sukie Bitchmont said...

It's freaking ridiculous, isn't it? Last night, at 11:00 PM, it was still 95 degrees. Ugh!