Thursday, December 13, 2007

Update on State Legislator's Grandson

Sukie posted about this story a few days ago. The 18 year old died of alcohol poisoning. The media is now reporting the condition of the frat house he was found in. None of the details are shocking to me because I did go to college. What's shocking is that some in the community are in an uproar about the reporting. Some feel that this is "dragging the story out" and that it is "disrespectful to the family." I don't really get that from the reporting. I feel like it could be a wake-up call to sororities, fraternities, and all college students. They are not invincible. They should not leave a passed out friend alone. Those are the lessons that I can see from this sad story. It seems like Sukie's initial reaction was right on.

1 comment:

Cricky said...

Unfortunately it won't change anything. A few counties over from me is the biggest party area for spring break in the US. College students die there every year over alcohol poisoning, hazing rituals, and stupidty. It won't change because the government likes the extra revenue too much to crack down and make changes happen.