Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Friendships, The Meaning of Life, and Other Random Shit

I got home from a long day at work, and there was a wedding invitation in my mail. A friend of mine is getting married in April. First, let me give you some background. I'll call this friend The Cougar. She's about 25 years older than me, but one of those women who is still in better shape and hotter than women in their 30's. Picture a timeless beauty...like Sophia Loren. We met through a mutual friend and hit it off. We would meet after work most nights for drinks and girl talk. We were both going through nasty divorces and needed a friend who could relate. After our divorces, she met someone. He is about 15 years older than her, and if the truth be known, she was seeing him while she was married. Anyway, four years later, and they are getting married. You must understand that I don't really believe in degrees of friendship. I think that we have different people in our lives for different reasons. They serve different purposes. Some of them remain with you a lifetime and some are fleeting. I would say that The Cougar was rather fleeting, but we shared a lot of personal information with each other, so I imagine that is why we have tried to stay in touch. Soooo, I got the invitation and now I have a dilemma. The card contained a smaller card that read as follows: "In lieu of gifts, please make donations to Big New Church." Yes, this is the same church that Sukie and I talk about. I knew that The Cougar attended this church, but she isn't exactly "churchy" kind of people, so I thought she went more for show...she might. I'm not going to donate to Big New Church, but then I realized that people from Big New Church would be there. Ahhhh! I know I should go to the wedding, but now I just don't want to go. We don't talk much anymore, and we really have nothing in common anymore. But, I also don't want to end things on an awkward or bad note. I feel like I'm in high school again and trying to break up with a boy. What is a bitch to do?

3 comments:

Sukie Bitchmont said...

If you give money to that church, you're going straight to Hell.

just north of Eastwick said...

Tell her you have a conflict on the day of the wedding--you'll be out of town or something.

If you feel obligated to give her a gift, take her to lunch one day and give her money in a card....that way, if she wants it to go to BNC, she can do that, or she can keep it and buy something.....either way, SHE'S the one making the donation, not you. That's what I would do, anyway.

Head Bitch in Charge said...

I agree with Sukie.