Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Drugs or No Drugs?

I had to go to the doctor today because I've been having a lot of stress headaches and minor panic attacks. I really didn't want to get any drugs, so I set up a schedule. I go to bed at a decent time and at the same time every night. I get up at 6:00, and I exercise for about 45 minutes. It starts my day out right. I've also been trying to eat smaller meals, but more of them. I don't think I was drinking enough water either. So, after three weeks of my schedule, I'm feeling much better. I went to the doctor anyway because I had the appointment. I told him my new plan and how it was working. He stared at me blankly and told me he was going to prescribe a stress care package for me. He gave me a prescription for something that slows your heart rate down and for Xanax. Wow! As I was leaving, he says, "I prescribe that package to all of my attorneys and executives. Congratulations! You're moving up in the world." WTF? I thought he would praise me for trying to control my symptoms with something other than drugs. Nope. I told a friend at work about it, and she said, "Well now maybe you will stop calling strange women in cars and stop locking Mr. Fratastic out of the meetings." Mr. Fratastic is new to our workplace. He wears a bow tie every day. Need I say more about the name. He also tried to show up late to my meetings, so I started locking the door. Sucka! I digress. I thought about what she said, and here is my response. I like my edge I have. It makes me who I am. My stress management techniques consist of chasing cars and locking bitches out. I think I'll stick with my exercises and routine. Anyone have suggestions?

9 comments:

Sukie Bitchmont said...

I want drugs... ;-)

Barb Smith said...

If it weren't for xanax, I'd have no sanity at all.

Nuff said.

just north of Eastwick said...

Well, there's no shame in taking drugs if you need them. I prefer Zoloft myself....it works wonders. But your issues are different than mine.

If you feel like you are controlling your symptoms w/o drugs and don't feel comfortable taking them, then keep going w/o them for a little while and see how you feel. You could also always seek a second opinion.

Call me if you need to.

Alexandra Bitchford said...

I fully understand that some need drugs. I just don't think I'm at that point. I didn't mean to imply that I thought drugs weren't good for anyone. I actually tried the Xanax last night. OMG! It knocked me out. :) Go for that, Sukie.

just north of Eastwick said...

I didn't take it that way. But I do know that sometimes it's hard to accept that you need them yourself. It was for me, anyway.

Hope the Xanax helps. I hear that's some good shit. ;)

Cricky said...

I take effor for panic an anxiety. I hate it, but my family says it has made a huge difference. I'd say if you are happy with your current management though then stick with it.

Unknown said...

Look, I literally wrote the book on behavior modification through diet. You are doing the right thing because almost everything can be controlled with diet. There are people who do need the pills, and it would be wrong to suggest that they stop. But if you CAN control whatever your problem is through diet, then I commend you.

A lot of people think that a trait in their personality is worth a pill to get rid of. I wouldnt be me if I did get rid of my personality traits, and you wouldnt be you. I agree with you 110% on this one.

Lulu said...

I kind of want drugs...but only for when it's really bad. Other wise, I'm like you, I want to handle it on my own. I think it's a control thing....

Barb Smith said...

Oh honey...no way did I take that the wrong way. I've written about my struggle with SEVERE panic/anxiety disorder (started when my mom died, 17 years ago) and I've tried everything under the sun...all the bmt (behavior modification therapy), diet changes, pills, potions, voodoo and hoodoo you can imagine...that's why I said what I did. Xanax is the ONLY thing that has brought me even the slightest bit of relief. But we are all individuals with different body chemistries...what works for one, may not do a thing for another.

I just wanted to assure you that I took no offense whatsoever. I wish I could find something, anything, that would work for me besides these damn pills. But, for now at least, they really ARE my sanity...or at least as close to sane as I'll ever be. lol

No worries, k?