Friday, September 28, 2007

Culture Shock

What has happened to our culture? Has MySpace and text messaging taken over the world? I guess you could say the same about blogging, but I think that is different. Blogging is like an old school journal to me. I was doing a little research this evening and cruising around MySpace. I was amazed by so many things. First of all, I studied web design in college, so the plethora of design mistakes literally burned my retinas. Aside from that, most of the people seemed sort of sad and simple. Each person seemed to want someone, no matter who it was, to talk to them. It then started to make me question how much things like MySpace and text messaging have changed the English language. I never see apostrophes anymore. Commas are obsolete. Don't even think about capitalization. What gives? I've been told that I just expect too much out of people and that grammar is dead. Is this true? If it is, don't you think we will pay a price for that? One more thing before I end my questioning. Does it amaze anyone else that MySpace accounts have found themselves in courtrooms used as evidence in murder cases? Just a few things to think about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I keep a myspace, but I dont add anyone that I dont know, from real life or the internets. I would never let my kids have one. Now, not all of myspace is bad. I did afterall have a reunion with my best friend who had vanished after middle school and we were able to pick up where we left off. Then again, Im an adult and I know the difference between IRL and OL.