Saturday, November 3, 2007

Little Boxes on the Hillside...

Here's a little more information to share about the church experiment. Below you will find the first email I sent and the response from the Follow-up Coordinator.


Me: "A friend of mine is a member of your congregation, and she recently suggested I check out your website or come for a visit. I was hoping to get in contact with Jim. I recently read a blog entry of his, and I would like to find out some more information. Thank you for any and all help."


Coordinator/Cult-leader assistant: "Thank you for your email. I would love to answer any questions that you have. With a larger church it is impossible for Jim to handle all of the email. We try to help him out with that. So let me know how we can help you!! God Bless and have a great day."


Ok. She was pretty nice. She spelled my name wrong in the email, and it is NOT a hard name. Whatever, though. I wasn't giving up. I had never heard of a church where you couldn't meet the pastor. So, being the sneaky bitch I am, I tried again.


Me: "Thanks for the fast response. If I attend a Sunday service, will it be possible to meet Jim? My friend had invited me to Easter service, and I was unable to come. I'm new to the area, and my husband and I have been looking for a church to join."


Coordinator/Cult-leader assistant: "I am sorry Jim is not going to be able to meet with you. He does not meet personally with anyone. If you would like more information, I can mail you an informational packet."


Maybe I'm just out of the religious circle, but is this normal? Shouldn't people be a little more friendly and open to others visiting their church? Yes, I lied. I'm not new to the area, and Mr. Bitchford and I are NOT looking for a church to join. We'll keep you guys updated. Our plan right now is to try and visit it in two or three weeks. Below you will find a picture of a service. And, yes, I know it looks like a rock concert. Amazing.

2 comments:

Queen Bee said...

You or Sukie or Mr. Bitchford should write a letter to your local newspaper if you really have to take some class and pass a test to attend this church and you still can't meet the pastor. This megachurch gets tax-free status so it seems as if it should be more welcoming. Jeez, it's a church not a private club--I know I already said it, but the magachurch doesn't pay taxes on its property!!!!!!! And it seems to me that having to take a test "prohibits" certain people from being a member in a congregation.

Sukie Bitchmont said...

Looks almost as good as the Poison concert, huh?
Don't want nothin' but a good time!